Pink (Chaddi) Is My New Obsession

Posted by Passion Paprika | 10:47 PM | Wednesday, February 11 | , , | 3 comments »

A lot going on in the title huh? Well let me break it down into parts.

I recently read about the Sri Ram Sene wing and their attack on women in a pub in Mangalore. This was on 31st January. I didn't see it on TV but the online newspaper were full of Pramod Muthalik's drivel on how its okay to beat up women if they are harming the culture. Here are two videos to show what really happened.



The second video is in Hindi and doesn't have subtitles. But here is a gist.

Whoever's done it (assault these women), has done a good thing. Right now what's happening in our society, where women go to the pub and do "wrong" things, I disagree with these activities and feel what the demonstators have done is right. Taking such a small incident you want to blame the BJP Government.

Here is another thought that came into play by one of my favorite actors's Rahul Bose. Again, let me make the man speak for himself.


Hence the begining of the Pink Chaddi Campaign to read more click here.

What I like about this is how the power of media is in our hands. In your hands, in my hands. I can, through blogging, social networking, bring about change. We can as intelligent informed citized act as a unified civil group to make change. 

The Consortium of Pub-going,Loose and Forward Women facebook group has 22,296 members. Both men and women united against goondaism and bullying by the Saffron army.

I also signed up for Valentine's day Pub Bharo action. I will raise a drink to Muthalik and his collection of Pink Chaddis.



Here's to you Ram Sena, hope someday, we can sit together in a pub and toast to our Democratic country. (with the following song playing in the background ;) )



3 comments

  1. Anonymous // 2/11/2009 11:13 PM  

    I went to the store and asked for a box of pink panties, the lady didn't even blink an eye !!!!

    She charged me half-price too !!!!
    :D

  2. amna // 2/12/2009 1:01 PM  

    I agree more with Suchitra on this. I could be part of the minority though.

    I feel most women are madly looking around for their chaddis without thinking why or if they even want to. If they do, then that's their prerogative, of course.

  3. Passion Paprika // 2/12/2009 4:51 PM  

    Thanks Nags for sending me a different perspective.

    Not all women will take the streets,
    not all women will send their pink underwear,
    not all women will visit the pubs this Val day,

    but the fact that all of us are thinking about it, the fact that people have an opinion about this (meaning they've been to the site and read through the cause), makes me happy. The fact that we can mobilize if need be, makes me feel empowered. An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth is not the answer. Neither is sitting on our bums. Its time to take a stand against the harassment of women and standing up for our constitutional rights - Freedom.

    While Suchitra wrote her opinion, she hasn't mobilized on it. I would love to support her if she had.