Ragging stops now! Report it!

Posted by Passion Paprika | 10:17 PM | Wednesday, October 22 | , | 0 comments »

30% or our population is below the age of 20. Many of those people in colleges. One of the things that happen when you join college in India is you get ragged. Its illegal but seniors still think its important and you get ragged.

I was ragged on my first day to college. It wasn't a hostile ragging session, quite weird, I felt a little sad that people were picking on me, but nothing that bothered me for too long. I was happy that the first day was over and I was initiated into the college by my seniors. But its not the same for many people. Ragging can be hostile and down right dirty.

The Legal Definition of Ragging is and I quote "Ragging means the doing of any act which causes, or is likely to cause any physical, psychological or physiological harm of apprehension or shame or embarrassment to a student, and includes– (a) teasing or abusing of playing Practical joke on, or causing hurt to any student. or (b) asking any student to do any act, or perform any thing, which he/she would not, in the ordinary course, be willing to do or perform."
*
A few examples of the extent of Ragging are given below (extract from www.noragging.com)
 
We were asked to strip, lift pens with our buttocks, sit on empty bottle with their mouth upward
 
My friend may not talk about it because he has to study 5 more years in college. But later on i took my revenge by ragging my juniors
 
“They are made naked and ordered to do bad things... I can't tell it even to my parents. It is not justified but I can't bear it any more."
Amit committed suicide on 11 October 2005 by jumping in front of a moving train

This is serious and now many organizations are getting together to solve the issue of ragging. Its about time too! Here are a list of sites that you can go to if you want to read more about ragging and how you can report it you should try out the following sites.


Here is a small video that talks about the extent of ragging in our country.


0 comments