Money Manager Ex - The Money Managing software

Posted by Unknown | 3:19 PM | Friday, November 7 | , , , , , | 2 comments »

I have always been an impulsive buyer. I buy stuff I want and it does not matter if I am actually going to use it or not. If I like it, consider it bought. Uh Oh! There goes another swipe from my credit card. I buy books which I usually read within a month of purchasing them. I also buy Movie DVD's, Comics (my favourite currently is the Commando Series) and most importantly Computer Games. I love gaming. Well, the point here is I end up spending money here and there and I haven't any clue at the end of a month where all the money went. Yeah, I can track some of it if I look at all the bills collected. That's very time consuming and there are really high chances that some of the bills are misplaced or lost or you just couldn't care enough. But I do care. I want to know where my money is going. I was back on the internet, hunting for an excellent software that could give me the details of knowing where my money is going. How much is spent on books, travel, loans, bills etc. What is my total earning every year? I wanted charts/reports of everything that I could think of.

Fortunately, I didn't have to search for long. I visit this website regularly and came to know that there is a new addition called Money Manager Ex and I just read the few lines of description about this software and downloaded the portable version. After downloading & extracting the files from the zip archive, I launched it. I was amazed at the simple interface. I took my own sweet time to set up the details like accounts, assets, stocks, billing categories etc. and started putting in some data. It should take you anywhere between thirty minutes to one hour to just setup the software to your satisfaction. Now, you will need to start doing some data entry and then once in a month you could generate charts or graphs and see where your money is going.

Here is the overview of the software from the author's website:


Money Manager Ex© is a free, open-source, cross-platform, easy-to-use personal finance software. It primarily helps organize one's finances and keeps track of where, when and how the money goes. It is also a great tool to get a bird's eye view of your financial worth. Money Manager includes all the basic features that 90% of users would want to see in a personal finance application. The design goals are to concentrate on simplicity and user-friendliness - something one can use everyday. Money Manager Ex is a complete rewrite of the original Money Manager .NET. It runs on Windows and Linux and an experimental build is now available for Mac OS X.

Main Features
* Intuitive. Simple, Fast, Clean
* AES Encryption Support
* Maintain checking, credit card, savings, stock investment accounts
* Budgeting
* Maintain and Track Fixed Assets with depreciation
* Reminders for recurring Bills and Deposits
* Simple one click reporting
* Cash Flow Forecasting
* Graphs, Piecharts
* Does not require an install. Can run from a USB key.
* International language support (Available in 24 languages)
* Import data from any CSV format, QIF [ Microsoft Money]
* Printing, Exporting to HTML, CSV
* Non-Proprietary SQLite Database
* Read more in the Features Page.
System Requirements
* Installer and zip for Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista
* Binaries available for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu Linux(.deb), SuSE Linux (.rpm)
* Experimental Support for Mac OS X 10.5
* Can be compiled from source for any other Linux Distro

Please visit the author's website for more information and downloads.


2 comments

  1. Anonymous // 11/10/2008 8:48 AM  

    Great post and all useful information because money matter.
    http://www.oxyshopping.com

  2. Unknown // 11/10/2008 3:04 PM  

    Thanks kaaran.