TVS Apache RTR160 - Quick bad impression

Posted by Fzkl | 4:43 PM | Wednesday, October 29 | , , | 0 comments »



By Jiljith C.P.

I only had 3 rounds around my office building (which includes the basement parking lot too) on a badly maintained RTR 160, so this review can’t be very useful. Nevertheless, here goes.


The bike seemed small even to a guy like me who is just 5’ 4". I cannot imagine how a bigger person would feel on it. The seating position is rather extreme. My neck began to hurt after just 3 rounds on it! You do feel wrapped around the bike though. It corners well. It brakes well. It accelerates well. The engine is ’ok’. I have heard people comment that the bike can be used to zip in traffic. I don’t think that has much to do with the handling of the bike - it must have more to do with its size. The bike as such seems to lack character. It is ’ok’ in most categories - perhaps even good in some; but it seemed like it had no distinguishing trait. It holds its line well too. It did remind me of the Fiero though; and there were times when I felt somebody had installed a powerful engine onto a small frame on purpose. 

It is not really what I would call a nice commuter bike, though - yes, it would not be out of place on the track. The bike lacks sophistication; it is too lean to look good; if you pay money for this bike, then you are paying for the performance more than anything.

I wasn’t very impressed - looking at it from a commuter’s perspective; not very unimpressed either. It seems like a good bike that has been engineered well. It leans more on the performance side. It seemed like many aspects like braking, cornering, power, had been taken into account well; but the bike as a whole had been left out.

Unless you’re a TVS fan or one of the so called race-bred boys on a budget [ignoring the R15], you would be better off overlooking this bike.

Apache RTR 160 FI:
Would a rear disc brake and Fuel injection change the character of this bike? --naa...I don’t think so. It is already good in those areas. If it needs the attention of the commuter it will have to improve on some of the other areas.


0 comments